Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Whatever did our ancestors do?

Just heard a comment on a local TV newscast that had me shaking my head.

More or less, it was that without cell phones we're so terribly unsafe.

Say what?!

The world became less safe when cell phones were created? Is that it?

Don't get me wrong--I have one, I'm glad to have one, it's very helpful. But would I be less safe without one? Would my children?

I'm going to sound like a crotchety old fart, but when *I* was young we played all over town without any way for our parents to reach us until we got home. Granted, we knew to be home by that particular time (by golly!). Were we so horribly unsafe? Yes, the world is different but it really isn't THAT much more unsafe than it was 40 years ago--we just have a lot more loudmouthed media (self included) to tell us about every little incident, many of which wouldn't have even crossed our radar in earlier times.

You can rewrite this rant to cover most any modern high-tech device that people seem to think is essential to life and safety, even though humanity survived for thousands of years without whatever that item may be.

Ah well. Guess I'll go crawl into my "crotchety middle-aged fart" hole.

1 comment:

Nathaniel Brooks said...

Not only is safety a load of bull, but the efficiency and quality of our communications has not increased.

For instance, you visit the grocery store and wonder if these dimwits have ever heard of a SHOPPING LIST. It's as if they were dropped into the canned fat aisle from the planet Moron 4 and the only way to navigate their way to their next meal is to use their cellular device (one call per aisle) to assemble the necessary ingredients and accoutrements. Give me a break.