Saturday, January 26, 2008

Times change

My brother is in town but I just got an email from him. Go figure.

During the summers of 1977, 1978, and 1980-1983 I worked for a summer camp in central Wisconsin. Started as kitchen staff, then counselor, and then Program Director. My sister also worked there, and my brother as well.

Now the owners, the Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee, have closed Camp Webb after almost 50 years of giving kids from diverse backgrounds, including inner city and suburb kids from Chicago and Milwaukee areas, a chance to play and worship in a gorgeous woodland setting. The rumor is they will sell it for development, thereby garnering some obscene amount of money.

"Way back when" there were camps like this dotted all over Wisconsin. Camp Webb made numerous improvements over the years that allowed it to operate more or less year round, with camping for groups at various times, and of course the 6 to 8 weeks summer sessions we all know and remember when it was all kids, all the time.

Fortunately, a small group of former staff have come together to try and save the place.

That's where the email from my brother comes in. Turns out he is one of that small group of former staff.

I hope something can come of the effort, but I doubt we can raise the money needed to rescue the place. So it will get cut up into lots and many years of wonderful memories will be relegated to nothingness.

Hopeful, but sad.

Life rolls on...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. But then again I am biased. Because I'm your brother.