Thursday, January 24, 2008

Looking up in The District

No, no, I don't mean gazing up at the crumbling brickwork atop the Newcomb, or at the WCU Building, or anything like that.

I mean that I've been to two of the strategic planning sessions for the Historic Quincy Business District (missed one because I had to be at the school board meeting).

Todd Shackelford is doing a great job of getting 50 disparate people with different ideas about what will make downtown/uptown/historic/business/The District to focus in on things that can be done to actually accomplish positive things.

They've got it to four focus groups now: Marketing, Environment, Economic Development, and Parking. On top of that they have three or four major goals listed for each group, and (at least for now) they are boring in on what kind of actions need to be taken to get No. 1 done in each area.

Color me impressed.

The owner of Pop's Pizza, who was one of the frontline at the November meeting expressing his concern and dissatisfaction, says he too is impressed and pleased--and most of all, hopeful.

Good for all of you who have made all three, or two, or even one of those meetings. Keep it up. I know I will do everything I can to be at the rest of them.

For the rest of you:  Wednesday nights at 6 p.m. at the Senior Center for the next 3 weeks.  If you own a business, work, or live downtown--heck, if you just VISIT downtown--come be a part of this. It's important, and it will make the city of Quincy a better place.

Now, if we can just get to work on the OTHER issues facing Q-town. :)

4 comments:

RealtyQuincy.com said...

I cannot wait to see some positive improvements for Downtown Quincy!

TOOKIE said...

There are meetings ?

;)



They have been SUPER ! I can't say enough great things about Todd

Anonymous said...

Wonder how much it would cost to rip out the old "highway style" streetlights and put in historical ones (like the ones around Washington Park) from 8th to Front and from Vermont down to Jersey?

Of course that would be bad for me, since the globes would be pretty much right outside my windows on 8th--but I'd live with it. :)

PS. Nice to meet you, Tookie. I also met Jamie B. for the first time too. She won't tell me who Q-Fire is, either. :)

TOOKIE said...

She needs a good water boarding I say , let the Paki ISI work on her some


hahahahaha