Friday, September 01, 2006

I like trees

Yes, it is true.

Those who listen on Saturday mornings when I broadcast the news on WTAD know that producers Bruce or Jim and I usually end up talking briefly about my collection of bonsai, many of which I managed to nurse through last winter only to kill by not properly accomodating this summer's hot weather.

Ah well, one lives and learns or one finds another hobby.

(Wow. Have talked so far about introductions, Russian language and religious culture, Quincy food, and now bonsai. Eclectic, indeed. :)

I bring this up so I can do two things.

One reason is to promote the Springfield Bonsai Society, of which I am a member. It's not a large group but it draws people interested in the tiny trees from across a wide swath of central Illinois.

Check them out here:
http://www.geocities.com/springfieldillinoisbonsai/

The second reason is to post a picture, just to make sure I can.

This is the tree of which I was most proud--the one on which I had done the most work training and nurturing. I hoped to have it repotted in a bonsai pot and ready to display for the first time at next spring's bonsai show in Springfield.

It is a cotoneastor horizontalis.



Alas, it was one of the casualties in the summer heat.

Live and learn.

(Yes, it is poorly Photoshopped to take out the background activity. I'm no graphics wiz, I'm afraid.)

6 comments:

Rocky Cola said...

I may TP these things if I get a chance !
nice site....but mine is better :)

pravoslavniye said...

Well, of course! You started long before I did!

Give me time. :)

Drew Hibbard said...

Kevin,

I just stumbled upon your blog. Thanks for the link, and I'll be sure to put you up on mine!

Drew Hibbard, The Forgottonian

Anonymous said...

Kevin, nice blog. I put a link in the list on mine. Glad you joined this silly business.

pravoslavniye said...

Thanks, Joe.

I can honestly say I learned a lot "across the park" when you came in and ran a couple of writing/news gathering workshops. Probably fair to say I wouldn't be where I am today without those experiences.

I like your blog too, even if I don't always agree with the articles you post. It helps to keep the mind fresh to receive--and then ponder rationally--new views and insights.

pravoslavniye said...

Thanks, Drew.

And congrats on your engagement!