Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cold, rainy, and yet...

I've been trying to get out and walk more lately.

It's problematic because I have chronic gout and it almost always goes to my feet. I do take medication and drink lots of water, but from time to time I'll have a lingering attack that, while not as painful as a full-blown assault, still makes walking distances quite the chore.

And yet...

Went out this morning determined to go at least around the block, perhaps as far as Washington Park (which is just three blocks away after all), and back. Good for the circulation, good for me period. One of my Lenten disciplines this year.  (Remember, Pascha/Easter for the Orthodox isn't until April 27th.)

It was cool and it rained lightly. That's usually enough to turn me off but today it was different.

It had rained enough overnight to make the air smell really fresh--cold, but fresh. It was bracing, as they say.

At the park, rain dripped off the trees and while there was no sunlight per se, it still kind of sparkled and made everything look new and pretty. Even the new restroom construction didn't look so bad. :)

It was fairly quiet too, at 8 a.m. Most of the traffic was off on 4th Street and I stayed on the 5th Street side.

I headed back and stopped for a moment in front of St. Raphael Church (right next to the Busy Bistro) and looked at the ikons in the window. I have a key and thought about going in for a few minutes but decided in or out I was in the temple of the Lord and that was good enough for today.

Walked on...and my feet didn't hurt anymore and haven't since. Granted it's only a handful of hours, but not having aching dawgs is very much a blessing.

Combined with the fresh air, the lovely rain, the coolness, the beauty of ikons, and a day off, this has been and will continue to be a wonderful day.

Hope yours is too.

KNP

No comments: