Friday, January 30, 2009

Living up to one's name

I am laid up today after taking a tumble last night while covering a story. Then I made it worse by standing around for an extended period after that meeting talking shop with one of the confraternity of local media folks.

I'd already had a twinge of gout in my left ankle yesterday and made a doctor visit to get something done for it. Of course in my "king klutz" routine I also bunged up my left hand.

Anyway, I'm off the foot for today, propped up and working on blood flow since the gout has kicked in big time. I will spare you a description of the swollen glory of my ankle. The wrist isn't too bad, though.

The killer is I can't take ibuprofen because of my high blood pressure medicine, and tylenol doesn't relieve much of the pain. I am reminded of Bill Cosby describing his wife's "natural child birth": I WANT MORPHINE!

I also hate missing work since it means an exta load for Jim and Mary, and today it also means an extra call for something I was to cover this morning as well as figuring out how to get coverage at the 1844th homecoming tonight (after 5:30 p.m. at the armory for those who want to go and thank these great folks for their service).

At least it is a good opportunity to rest and recuperate, and spend some time in prayer and meditation on dealing with adversity. Practice on that last is sometning we could all use these days, I daresay.

Have a good one, my friends. And may God bless you and keep you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

9th St. Bridge. You're on a Bill Cosby roll, aren't you? You need a
Chicken Heart" reference.

pravoslavniye said...

I have my days. :)

OTOH, I'm not rolling anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Well, then, smear some Jello and slide.

pravoslavniye said...

Went down the stairs on my butt last night. Getting back up was a chore but the exercise probably did me good.

Jello Pudding, no less.