Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's not supposed to apply to ME

You may take that title any way you like. Considering today's action in the Illinois Senate, you would be justified in thinking it is a currently unemployed guy's lament.

But no, really it's all about ME.

You see, my predecessor as "reporter on the spot" at Quincy City COuncil meetings had (still has) a rep for pulling out the watch at "go-time" and announcing "It's 7:30 Mr. Mayor!"

I had no such tag line when I started covering the Council (and other evening government bodies). But I noticed one group of aldermen at those meetings would stay in their seats long after adjournment, usually even outlasting my lengthy chats with various principals about issues of the evening.

Finally one night I walked up to the four or so fellows and said what has now apparently become my tagline. Every week now I am pretty much compelled to remind them.

So, I told you THAT to tell you THIS.

It's late night. I have finished a very long day at work in which a lot of stuff happened and I did a lot of listening, note-taking, and writing.

And I'm too darned tired to get up from in front of the work computer and go home.

So I say to myself my "John Holm/City Council" line:

"You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!"

Thank you, and good night.

No comments: