Monday, October 01, 2007

A bit of poetry to while the hours...

This was written when I was active in the Society for Creative Anachronism and was serving as one of three "Kingdom Bards" for the King and Queen of the Middle Kingdom (IL, IN, WI, MN, OH, MI). It isn't quite authentic in the style of a medieval plaint, but one adapts as one must to modern sensibilities. :)

To Her Grace, the Doe of the Middle Kingdom, the Gentle Queen

Oh fairest Queen, Oh lady bright,
Above me as far as sky to earth
This simple song I sing tonight,
My prayer is it may cause thee mirth
But soft, not laughter of derision,
Rather thy gentle smiles bestow
And trust my tune like wise magician,
From thy emerald eyes bring flow
Of joyous tears and heartstrings tune,
And to thy puissant lord should bring
Thee closer in thy love and soon,
I pray this comes from what I sing.

The Plaint

Oh morning star
Above the heights I pray thee rise
So in thy light
The glory of my Queen I'll spy;
The fairest lady of the land is she, the Queen
Saving but one, my own true love
(in truth 'tis as should been)
But gentle Queen still I do honor thee.

Oh noonday Sun
Thou shouldst hide thy glory, shade thy name;
The lady Queen
Doth sing with me, puts thee to shame;
Sweet melody like nightingale sings she, the Queen
Saving but one, my own true love
(in truth 'tis as should been)
But noble Queen still I do honor thee.

Oh twilight sky
In deepsome luster glorious beauty thrives.
Like as my Queen
Whose emerald eyes with thy beams of glory strive,
The victor of the contest fair is she, the Queen
Saving but one, my own true love
(in truth tis as should been)
But beauteous Queen still I do honor thee.

O moon of night
Can I compare thee to my Queen?
My lady fair,
Beloved too, outshineth thee.
They stand so lovely in my dreams, the moon, the Queen
Saving but one, my own true love
(in truth 'tis as should been)
Above all others I do honor these.

Finis le plaint

My lady Queen, these are but words,
And lack the music that I write
At Crown I pledge to sing for thee
If wilt allow that busy night
And now God grant thee rest and grace
And peaceful joy all in thy place,
Goodnight fair Queen, sweet resting too,
Goodnight, dear one, at last, adieu!

3 comments:

pravoslavniye said...

By the way, the story PROTECTION a bit farther back has as one of its sources the story of this particular Orthodox feast-day, the Protection of the Veil of the Theotokos.

And a poem/song to the Queen seems appropriate on such a day as well.

(Relax Tookie, that's all I'll say about Orthodoxy...for now :)

TOOKIE said...

Orthodoxy is more sexy than Justin TimbeFAKE !


DA brought Sexy Back ..but Orthodoxy has it here to stay

pravoslavniye said...

You can have any doxy you like.

Make mine Orthodoxy.

Now if I was from say Virginia, I'd want Orthodixie (there's a blog out there somewhere called "Orthodixie" :)