Saturday, September 29, 2007

Speaking of games

It's the last Saturday of the month and that means it's Game Day at Midwest Comics & Collectibles at 18th and Broadway.

So during the course of the day I will be spending a few hours huddled over a game board of some kind playing something with friends. We'll probably order out for pizza too.

Want to see what it's all about? Stop by and tell them Kevin sent you. There are plenty of folks who will gladly teach you one of the easier games that we like to play. Mention Settlers of Catan, or BattleLore, or even Axis & Allies naval miniatures...or just ask if there are any fun Euros you can try out.

And if you're really brave and you see me, you can ask for a turn or two of Byzantium Reborn, a game on the fight between the Greeks and the Turks post World War 1. Brave not because I'm any good at playing, but because it's somewhat more complex than the Euro-games that we usually play.

Midwest opens at 11. They start gaming at 12. I'll likely be there mid-afternoon.

And for those who think I'm nuts for playing these games, I'll post an After Action Report later tonight. :)

PS. If you don't want to play games, go to the rock show at John Wood, or any of the other activities taking place today. Really, honest, just get out of the house and enjoy the day!

3 comments:

TOOKIE said...

I like when stressed to play the computer game ROME

I like to Build the Legion and go vs the Gauls .............

J.C. 's Gaul campaigns still hold my interest .


My Buddy a QU Proff if you could get him out of his house could match anyone playing those games .


He has destroyed me even being the Para's in Market Garden .

pravoslavniye said...

Rome is a good computer game--does all the things we like to do in boardgames without having to do all the tiresome calculations ourselves. :)

When we hold our local game convention each June we have a room set up with about 10 computers for people to play various computer war games. Rome was on the short list this year though they usually play 1st person shooters.

I've been wanting to try out Medieval 2 but my video card won't handle it.

I still enjoy the Close Combat WW2 series of games though they look pretty dated now. But I'd have been a horrible commander--I tend to get my men killed.

TOOKIE said...

Medieval 2

Just doesn't look fun . Not sure why ?

Me & the Prof used to play "Tanks Modern Warfare' on his old @ss PC ...like the ones with huge ram =4 ......


He & I would sit post football and just try to out think each other. He was a Patton always taking a risk , yet knew my counter attack and some how knew where I would have arty coverage and exploit the gaps .