Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mortality

I learned this weekend that two friends of mine have died.

The first actually occurred in June. I only found out about it while reading the newsletter of the Fine Arts Department at Illinois State, where I graduated back in '84.

Dr. John Ferrell was a guiding light in my love of choral music. He led the Madrigal Singers at ISU, in which I sang for the entirety of my time there.

He did not direct us by standing in front and waving his arms as conductors usually do. Since our raison d'etre was performing the annual Christmas Madrigal Dinners, we sang with only a minimal direction from one of the singers, starting and stopping. But Dr. F. would nurture our collective creativity and inspire quality performance by brief but pointed commentary, a quick outline of how a musical line should arch and fall, a soft-spoken word on forming the words around the music.

Dr. F. nurtured us in other ways too. He was always available for counsel. He was one of "The Wise", as far as I was concerned. I can imagine him in the classic educational setting: he at one end of a log and the student at the other, talking music. In addition, when there was a need (such as when we journeyed to the British Isles on our bi-annual singing tours) he would help us find the funding to pay for the trip--in my case, twice.

I will miss him.

The second death was brought to my attention Saturday morning when I printed the birth and funeral announcements for my airshift.

Chris Walton was 52. A resident of Quincy and formerly of Carthage, we shared a love for gaming. He died of an apparent heart attack on Friday.

Chris was always willing to play something. He didn't appear to care what, he simply wanted to enjoy the camaraderie and play of the game.

I last talked with him when my fiancee was in town. We were leaving Midwest Comics as he was arriving, and I introduced him to Paula. He offered to teach her the game she had just purchased for me for my birthday.

I did not realize that Chris held a degree in history and teacher certs. At some point he must have decided not to pursue the teaching, but I can see him in that role. He told good stories, he knew the history represented in many games like the proverbial back of his hand, and while he was a trifle odd perhaps, he was a good man.

I regret that I did not have the chance, in either the case of Chris or Dr. Ferrell, to tell these two men how much I valued their presence in my life.

In the Orthodox Church we pray for those who have passed on with simple words:

May their memory be eternal!

Now I'm off to tell a few people whose friendship and guidance I have enjoyed how much I love them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a reader of all blogs Quincy, your tribute to the passing of two friends was touching.

Somewhere, someone is keeping score regarding the kind words you've written, so that should make you feel good about yourself.

Plus, as long as you keep this blog, you have immortalized these two people forever.

Rodney Hart said...

It's a good reminder to never take friends and family for granted. Good post, Radio Guy ....