Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Asking for trouble?

So I finally sat down this weekend past and jotted down some net links for possible birthday gifts, as my fiancee Paula asked me to do. There were six or seven items on the list running from the practical to the spiritual to gaming interests.

All in all it seemed a reasonable response to the question "Can you send me a list of things you might like as a birthday present?"

Now mind you, I don't NEED anything from her. The fact that she is coming from Ohio to spend two weeks with me beginning Sept. 1st, and that she loves me enough to want to share the rest of my life, is more than enough of a gift.

But she ASKED.

I showed the list to a longtime (female) friend here in Quincy and her reaction was "Do you REALLY expect to get those silly things?"

Huh? Did I commit some terrible relationship faux pas by actually assembling a list, as requested? My Quincy friend went on about how it was terribly selfish and rude to offer the list and I must admit to being totally bamboozled by her reaction.

On the other hand, it's not her reaction I really need to worry about, is it? And I guess the fact that she is once-divorced and been in four relationships since we met is a good comment on the value of her "advice".

I think I'll just wait til I hear from Paula as to whether there is an actual problem.

Even better, when she hands me the gift box on Sept. 13th I will kiss my beloved and thank her from the bottom of my heart, and my Quincy friend can go suck an egg.

Yeesh. People...you can't live with 'em and they don't allow you to bury 'em alive.

KNP

PS. Sorry for my spotting posting record. I admire those folks who can do this almost everyday. In my naturally lazy state I get a good fill of writing at work and there are so many other demands on my time that entail writing that this tends to fall down the list of priorities. I ,ust resolve to do better.

No comments: