Wednesday, April 09, 2008

This is very odd. Really.

Can someone tell me, when I was sick from last Wednesday through Monday (and really still am but at least now I'm functional), when I worked a 12 hour day Tuesday, and look to do it again Wednesday...

WHY THE HECK AM I SITTING UP STILL AWAKE AT 3:40 IN THE FREAKING A.M. NOT SLEEPING?!?!

And also not commenting on a bunch of things worthy of comment: city budget hearings (check Tookie and East End for their takes), music (Funions--or at least RH--are doing lots of performing, check over there), Pam Fretwell getting roasted (I made her cry on her last day at STARadio--in a good way of course), county comprehensive planning meetings (this is gonna be....interesting), and so much more.

By the way, I have found the Holy Grail of upper nasal congestion relief: Zicam spray just cleans me out so well I don't get a headache and I can BREATHE!!! Hallelujah!

Note I said I wasn't sleeping, I did not say I was particularly coherent.

City Council Monday night was surreal under the influence of my meds. Tom Fentem cracked me up when he got up and volunteered to postpone the Preservation Commission's presentation so the aldermen and audience could get home to watch the NCAA championship. John Holm has probably seen swifter motions, seconds, and votes, but I haven't.

New BATTLESTAR GALACTICA season underway. I can't believe they brought Starbuck back. Please. No more Starpollo worse-than-soap-opera "romance". I also don't think I like any of those characters anymore. They're all worse than flawed--they're clueless AND lacking in moral fiber.

Watched the movie SWEENEY TODD for the first time. Not bad, Johnny Depp has a good voice, but neither he nor Helena Bonham Carter know how to act while they sing. Plus they left out too much, and Burton could at least have given us the ballad during the end credits.

Waiting for the next season of DOCTOR WHO.

Waiting for Great Lent to wind to its conclusion in Holy Week (not far now) and then Pascha (April 27th).

It occurs to me that I probably need to fast more from the pointless entertainments I just critiqued. Of course it's late and I'm a bit loopy.

One last non sequitur: just finished the first volume of POWER AT SEA by Lisle Rose about naval industrialism and sea power in the 20th century. 1st volume was about 1900 to 1918. Had to break out the WW1 naval minis and play a couple of battles. Solo of course, so I won but I lost, all at the same time.

I thought exercising my brain and writiing would put me to sleep, but alas.

Guess I'll go for an early morning drive.

4 comments:

Rodney Hart said...

Friday, April 18, Elks, 7 - 10 p.m. Members and guests only. You are our guest Pravo!

pravoslavniye said...

Okay RH. I will really really really do my best to stop by.

Heck, it's half an hour after I get off work. What excuse do I have? It's almost next door! Well down the hill and a block north, anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

What's your take, as a news man, on the recent flap about plagiarism at the Whig?

pravoslavniye said...

My take is that I don't know the details of their contract with AP, and I'm not about to go any further into their junk than that.

Their error, their problem--if it actually is an error and ergo, a problem.

They sure shouldn't run their operation by public opinion, though.