Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

This is the day, my friends.

No matter what you may think, no matter how angry or disgusted or tired you got listening and viewing and reading from and about the various candidates, this is the moment when the rubber hits the road.

Today is election day and you NEED to exercise your right to vote.

In the last few weeks I've spent a lot of time listening to the candidates. I've had the opportunity to ask questions and, in a couple of cases, ask some pretty hard ones. I believe I got reasonable answers and I know how I'm going to mark my ballot later today.

You haven't had the opportunity I have though I've tried, through my job, to at least give you a hint of what I have learned so you can make an informed decision. I know that my confreres in the Quincy media have also tried to do that, and I hope you listened at least a little.

But now is the time for your decision.

For two weeks I have collected snippets from candidates and this morning I handed Mary G. a brief story titled "Vote Montage". It was a minute and ten seconds of candidates urging people--not just people in fact, but YOU--to get out and vote.

Of all the "sound bites" in that cart, the first and last were the best.

The first was from Treasurer candidate Alexi Ginaoulias. He said we have an obligation--if we like the way things are going, you must vote to keep things going that way, and if you're disgusted by how things are going, the aame applies.

The last was our own Senator John Sullivan. And he said that this was our time, our place to guide the destiny of our region, our state, and our nation.

So if you haven't yet, go. Step in the booth. Regardless of who you feel led to vote for, do vote.

Your voice, your vote, is a privilege and a responsibility.

Use it.

No comments: